Since I’m on a mission of insanity to sew my own Halloween costume this year, I felt it was time that I get a dress form. The problem with that idea is that 1.) They’re a bit pricey, 2.) I’m not really sure which brand is better quality and 3.) I need a petite size, and those are kinda hard to find. . . if you have any suggestions let me know!
So, I took it upon myself (with my mom’s help!) to make my own using duct tape. I went to a few different places to try and figure out the best way to approach this project, and here are a few links to some helpful instructions:
Mimi Goodwin’s Video (short version) – great for showing how to work around the curvy parts.
Wild Onion – I found this one after my dress form was made, and I highly recommend her version.
I think it came out okay, but there’s a lot less definition that my actual body. . . which is understandable. Though, I think if I would have followed the Wild Onion instructions, things would have come out better.
For instance, we worked from the bottom to top – Wild Onion works from top to bottom; working from top to bottom would have kept the sleeves from getting stretched (and hard to work with) like they did from working bottom to top. When we got to the bust area, we had to snip the top of my sleeves so that it wouldn’t alter the form, and then that made my arm and sleeve area hard to work around because we had to make sure my skin was covered to protect it from the duct tape.
Another thing Wild Onion does that would have made the process faster and simpler – she cut the shirt a little up the back so that she could form it to fit her body. Since you’re supposed to use a shirt that’s big on you to begin with, her method helps get rid of a lot of unnecessary bulk.
Next time around I’ll use her method!
After we were done taping, it was time to do the stuffing. I used fiber fill to stuff it, and I like it a lot because it’s really good at getting into the nooks and crannies. However, as you can see from the photo, I didn’t do a great job stuffing the bust area! Luckily, it’s still the same measurement as me, but this is one of the spots that I wish had more definition. . . meaning I don’t like how straight across the chest is. There’s no rise and fall! lol
For the stand, I bought a microphone stand from Guitar Center, and it works great! I cut out pieces of leftover illustration board I had to fit the neck and base of the form, then cut holes in the board to allow the stand to go through. It’s adjustable and sturdy.
Now that it’s all done, I just need to start my costume!
As promised, I have finally gotten around to getting a photo of my finished cardigan. It’s amazingly comfortable and perfect to wear in chilly air.
For this cardigan I knit the collar in plain stockinette because I wanted the rolled collar look, but I think next time (if there is a next time), I will opt for the ribbed collar.
Without further ado, I present the Caribbean Featherweight:
Pattern: Featherweight Cardigan by Hannah Fetig
Yarn: Spinning Colors Merino Lace in Caribbean
More details on Ravelry.
That’s it for now!
I hope the dress form experience is helpful to those of you looking to make your own; hopefully I’ll get around to sewing something to show how much having a dress form can help anyone who wants to make their own clothes. :)